1997 Phase 1
A High Performance, Gravity Insensitive, Enclosed Aeroponic System for Food Production in Space
Aeroponics International (formerly EnviroGen, Inc.)
The Aeroponics Systems allows the growth of plants in
an air/mist environment without the use of soil or an aggregate media.
This high performance food production technology will rapidly grow
crops using 99% less water and 50% less nutrients in 45% less time.
Seed Support System Commercialized for Sterile Germination Without Pesticides. Lettuce Harvested in 45 days from Planting
- Under the SBIR contract Aeroponics International and Bio Serve
Space Technologies team completed studies aboard the Mir Space Station in 1998.
- Aeroponics has contributed to advances in root morphology,
nutrient uptake, drought and flood stress.
- Research results lead to the company commercializing
this system as theGenesis Series V Aeroponic Systems.
- The closed-loop aeroponic food production technology
now offers government agencies, commercial growers and producers to take advantage of
this technology for economical crop production.
- Aeroponics International was the first to commercialize
aeroponics in the USA. US Patent granted in 1985, "Methods and Apparatus for Aeroponic
Growing of Plants."
- Today the technology is being used by commercial
growers and producers.
- The Aeroponic system can be used to produce
the various food crops that NASA intends to grow in space.
- "This technology is not subject
to weather conditions or the seasons.
- Crops can be planted and
harvested year around without interruption.
- It is also an applicable to bio-pharming,
pharmaceuticals, nutraceuticals, and horticultural crops. It meets BL-3 laboratory specification
for biological containment and sanitation.
information about this firm, please send e-mail to company
to NASA SBIR Success Listings
| Biological/Physical Sciences,