AiRANACULUS, and its partners, propose an innovative Intelligent Network Splicing and Policy-based Routing Engine (INSPiRE) Solution to increase mission science data return, improve resource efficiencies for NASA missions and communication networks and ensure resilience in unpredictable space environments. The proposed INSPiRE System is an add-on to the CLAIRE Project, that is developing wide-band spectrum sensing, spectrum-aware routing and cognitive control plane riding on the NASA’ s CCSDS Bundle Protocol as an APP. CLAIRE provides spectrum and network situational awareness to enable link-layer selection and optimization to maximize the data flow. The INSPiRE System utilizes the CLAIRE APP to enable Network Slicing (NS) and Policy-based Routing (PBR). From a logical perspective INSPiRE architecture utilizes the three-state model of network topology, RF performance and PBR – two of these inputs are provided by CLAIRE while the third one defining policy is a flow down from NASA. While the actual path optimizations are complex calculations, INSPiRE abstracts the paths as virtual NSs. INSPiRE brings interesting aspects of 5G networks in the form of Network Function Virtualization, Security, Service Level Agreement (SCI/NET/DET/PNT) and PBR, which allows NASA to leap ahead from link-optimization to secure network optimization. Each NS is end-to-end secure and logically separate tunnel, hence providing security and robustness. Unlike 5G NS which are bound to a specific path and support many applications, INSPiRE NSs are application specific and run across all paths over the node/ satellite constellation. The INSPiRE architecture utilizes the CLAIRE APPs which are embedded on satellite and ground system to determine the topology and measure the RF performance. Collected data is uploaded to the INSPiRE management system where route optimizations are determined based on PBR. These optimizations are transmitted to all CLAIRE APPs which enforce the policy decisions.
INSPiRE provides following Capabilities and Applications:
1. Network Slicing provides configuration flexibility to ALL current and future, terrestrial and space-based NASA networks, enabling Service Oriented Architecture and Network Function Virtualization.
2. Policy-based Routing allows NASA networks to control their behavior and over-ride any automated decisions that are made locally hence making them deterministic.
3. Provides Secure Encrypted Network Slices - Allows each of the SCI/ NET/ DET / PNT Services to have separate Virtual Network
INSPiRE provides the following Non-NASA Applications
1. Architecture and capabilities are applicable to ALL commercial Terrestrial (3G/ 4G/ 5G / Wi-Fi), Space (LEO/ MEO / GEO/ Relays / Gateways), Backhaul (Optical Fiber / Coax) Networks.
2. Security and Privacy are built in. Hence it is applicable for other Federal Agencies including DoD, DHS, NSA, FAA among others.